So, I had a long winded blog typed up on how to be successful and reach your goals this year… But it just continued to get longer and longer (surprise surprise), and I didn’t want to overload you all with information. Therefore, I decided to write a whole new and shorter blog to give you motivation and tips to reach your goals, while also providing you with extra time to start taking action now!
1. Make sure your goals are specific.
Yes, you can generalize to start- but make those goals specific – or else, how will you know when you’ve reached them?
Example: Change, “I want to lose weight”, to “ I want to lose X pounds or X inches off my waist.
2. Write them down.
This will help you know exactly what you are trying to achieve, and let you know when you’ve reached those goals. Plus if you keep it posted somewhere you can see it everyday then you will be reminded to work towards it and stay motivated.
3. Write down what you need to do to reach those goals.
Make a “to-do” list of what you need to do today, this week, this month, etc. to help you get closer and closer to your goal(s). Then keep writing new lists as often as you need to in order to stay on track.
- make a shopping list of healthy foods to eat this week
- go grocery shopping & cut up all fruits and vegetables
- start walking 5 days a week for 20 minutes at a time
- eat food slowly
- look into gym memberships/ at home workout programs
…. as you keep achieving daily, and weekly goals you may not need to change anything, maybe you just re-write the same goals every month, or maybe you decide you want to try some things that take a little more will power and effort, but keep making lists!
4. Celebrate the little things
I’m not telling you to celebrate the fact that you made it to the gym 3 times this week with a burger, fries and chocolate milkshake. However, you should acknowledge the fact that each step you make to getting you closer to your goals is a step in the right direction and has taken some effort – and you should be proud of that!
- You make it to the gym 3 times a week for a whole month, so at the end of the month you decide reward yourself with a new gym outfit.
- You eat 5 servings of vegetables everyday for a week, so you reward yourself with going to that specialty coffee shop you like and meeting a friend for a warm drink.
5. Be Realistic
This isn’t to discourage you from dreaming big, because that is not what I’m about! What I mean is that if you start small you are more likely to be successful, then when you reach your initial goal you can re-set your goals and strive for more every time you reach a new goal. However, by starting small and giving yourself plenty of time this will help ensure that you don’t get discouraged if you don’t see drastic changes immediately.
Of course there is much more that I could say about this topic, but these are just a few tips to help you get started and heading in the right direction to make 2017 your year!
Be patient, consistent and work hard, I know you can do this!
As always, if you have any specific questions please don’t be afraid to ask!